Create account / Log in

MacOS Big Sur

Issues with the Vassal engine.

Moderators: uckelman, Tim M

MacOS Big Sur

Postby mcdeans » April 22nd, 2021, 11:24 pm

* This isn't a request for help, but is for any other Mac user who is having issues with running Vassal on a new M1-based Mac with MacOS Big Sur. No search identified a forum entry with this info, and reading through every thread since 10/2020 gave no solution.*

I just updated to a new M1 based Mac mini running Big Sur and received a "You don't have Permission to run this application" dialog box on trying to run 3.4.13.

Using the "Notes for Mac Users" page (http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Notes_for_Mac_Users) set the "Open using Rosetta" check box on the Get Info page for Terminal, and then open Terminal. This asks if you want to install Rosettta, confirm you do. Once installed launch Vassal as normal, which should now open correctly. At least it worked for me... (And you can reset the Terminal check box when Vassal is working.)

Myk
mcdeans

Re: MacOS Big Sur

Postby jrwatts » April 23rd, 2021, 3:20 am

Am I the only one who finds this somewhat hilarious--emulating an x86 processor to run a program written in a language specifically designed to be processor and OS-agnostic?
jrwatts

Postby Brent Easton » April 23rd, 2021, 3:37 am

I stopped laughing at Java's shortcomings many, many years ago :(
Brent Easton

Postby jrwatts » April 24th, 2021, 1:12 am

In all seriousness, I suppose there should be a new package for M1 Macs that includes a JDK compiled specifically for them.
jrwatts

Postby uckelman » April 24th, 2021, 10:16 am

AdoptOpenJDK hasn't provided a build for the arm64 architecture yet. When they do, I'll add a build for it.
uckelman
Site Admin

Postby Yol » April 24th, 2021, 1:34 pm

I have issues with Vassal performance on my new Mac Mini M1 with Big Sur... All maps freeze when zooming or moving. Also game pieces respond very slowly to mouse click.

Do you have same issues?

I have using Roads to Gettysburg II module.
Yol

Postby mcdeans » April 28th, 2021, 2:03 am

Yes, it's disappointingly a good bit slow on scrolling, especially on big modules. I'm hoping that the build for arm64 mentioned by uckelman will remove the need for Rosetta and improve performance.
mcdeans

Return to Technical Support & Bugs