Just released for download! Napoleon Returns: 1815. Fight the Waterloo Campaign at the corps level in 2 hours tops!
Version 4 of the Commands & Colors: Napoleonics module is now available for download.
The new version is intended to operate in ways familiar to v3.4 users whilst bringing convenience features that are easy to get familiar with, supported by a tutorial and full release notes. Immediately visible new features include the Toolbar – revamped in the style of other C&C modules, self-organising hand windows, re-worked combat markers and use of icons in the chat log for dice results and other information.
New features include:
* Simplified game set-up.
* Game clock option
* Game Counter stacks/stores visible on one side or other of the main board. To add counter, click on the counter store before game start or drag a counter from the Markers palette.
* Initial card draw can be done from buttons in the hand window, and the hand window is self-organising.
* On turn indication. The module uses colour to indicate the current on-turn side; tracking starts from the first card played.
* Side icons also display Command size and the number of Tactician Cards held.
* Extensive reporting to chat, generally accompanied with suitable icons so chat history can be readily navigated.
* A set of End Turn buttons in each hand window serve as reminder and automate all end turn card draws except for First Strike replacement and empty deck checking.
* Dice are rolled directly from the main toolbar. Dice icons appear in chat. The dice tray is now optional (hotkey F3).
*Optional Clickable actions are enabled by default e.g. ordering pieces or marking combats, playing or discarding a card or playing a counter. In general, these operate for the side expected to take the action but right-click commands are always available.
* Leader pieces display most commands that an underlying Unit or Garrison requires. Easing use of Attached Leaders.
* Upgraded combat markers
* Main combat markers remain as independent and are now functional pieces; providing commands to apply multiple hits or for target marker to be used to Rally multiple blocks. Other status markers are embedded with the pieces, as pioneered by C&C Ancients.
* Combats can be marked up by moving the Attacker and Target markers onto pieces, by clicking on the pieces or by using the traditional right-click commands. A pair of markers are provided to the right of the main board, for player convenience.
* To accommodate Combined Arms and Grand Battery there is a new command “Add to Attack” [Alt+A] that appears on ordered Artillery units when an Attack has been declared elsewhere.
* An array of Hotkeys are available to speed combat commands and other operations. Combat hotkeys operate on the board without the Attacker or Target piece being selected.
* Used attacker pieces & supporting artillery will automatically be set to “no battle” once a new attack is formed. If a new attacker marker has been placed, the old one will be removed.
* Square actions can be achieved simply by pressing the square button (in hand) or playing a Battalion Mass counter or “Hasty Square”, as appropriate. The square Marker or counter is automatically assigned to the target infantry unit.
* Clickable dice that appear for Leader Checks, Leader Unit Reform and the Guerrilla Action counter. The normal dice button works transparently with these also. In both cases, results are applied automatically.
* Victory Banner Track. On your side (or Solitaire), click on a track space to add a banner; click on a banner to remove it. Right-click option also available.
* Eliminated pieces automatically move to the Victory Banner track; a Square card will automatically be returned.
* Scenario set up: Victory Banner track configures by a single click or command on the piece representing the scenario banner target.
* One stop shop: most custom scenarios from the v3 extension are now incorporated into the main module (using standard C&C component graphics)
* Unofficial Leaders of Honor for custom scenarios, imported from the v3.4 fan extension.
* Help menu is populated with many useful links and information.
* Player Aids have been reviewed and updated with corrections, along with an updated Shortcuts page. F1 will show or hide the Player Aids.
* Optional features can be disabled or enabled from the Preferences, Game Options panel, and some invoked from the Game Options toolbar menu (for the current game only).
* Sound is used to provide indication of actions taken. Sound can be disabled in Vassal on a module-by-module basis, on the Preferences…Sounds panel.
* Lost block counts (hotkey F10)
* Optional “Hints” feature displays unit and terrain information when the mouse is hovered over a piece. If disabled (in Preferences, Game Options), only the underlying terrain and any name leader is displayed.
This version is not backwards compatible.
Please advise any issues via the Vassal Module Support forum or the Fan forum
A new Vassal module for Twilight Imperium 4th Edition, which includes the Prophecy of Kings expansion, is now available for download.
The VASSAL Team is happy to announce VASSAL 3.5.8.
- Things may be broken which worked previously. If you find a new bug, please report it.
- Modules saved in 3.5 are not openable by earlier versions of VASSAL. We recommend keeping a backup copy of any pre-3.5 modules you plan to modify in 3.5 until you’ve verified that everything works to your satisfaction.
Changes since 3.5.7
- 14599: Error logs should be read from disk as UTF-8
- 14596: Removed initial heap setting for Importer, unused since 3.5.4
- 14579: Mass Piece Loader cannot add ‘standard’ layer traits
- 14570: Longer cancel wizard text shifts wizard divider position
- 14568: Counter Global Key Command expression does not see properties in lower traits
- 14479: GamePieceImages recognized by unused image removal tool
- 14600: Switch bug tracker to GitHub
Changes since 3.5.6
- 14540: PgDn stopped scrolling maps downward
- 14527: NoSuchMethodError when calling ArchiveWriter.save()
- 14526: IllegalArgumentException when rendering empty labels
- 14521: NPE in CounterDetailViewer when Stack shapes array is longer than the piece count
See the Release Notes for descriptions of the changes in 3.5.
VASSAL requires Java 11 or later.
The Windows and MacOS packages have an appropriate version of Java bundled with them, so there is no need to install Java separately on those operating systems. On Linux, use your package manager to install Java 11 or later.
Help us test
Please report bugs in the Technical Support & Bugs category at the VASSAL forums.
The VASSAL Team
Flying Colors v2.4.1 is released, along with the module’s SOTL/c3I extension.
The update provides an optional feature that will track Initial Broadsides, along with a handful of related and minor changes. Changes are detailed on the module page and Help file.
Major module update for Wing Leader which now includes both the core games and all the expansions.
A new Vassal module for Against the Reich, published by West End Games, is now available for download.
A new Vassal module for Scorched Earth, from the Europa Series, is now available for download. It includes The Urals gamette.
A new Vassal module for Tsukuyumi: Full Moon Down is now available for download.
A new Vassal module for Against the Reich, published by West End Games, 1986, is now available for download.