The VASSAL Team is happy to announce the release of VASSAL 3.3.0.
- Things may be broken which worked in 3.2.17. If you find a bug introduced since 3.2.17, please report it.
- If you save a module in VASSAL 3.3, you will NOT be able to open it afterwards with VASSAL 3.2. We recommend keeping a backup copy of any pre-3.3 modules you plan to modify in 3.3 until you’ve verified that everything works to your satisfaction.
- Some modules containing custom drawing code may render incorrectly on HiDPI displays. If you are the maintainer of such a module, let us know and we can advise you about what needs updating for 3.3 in your code. (We are aware already that VASL has this problem and are working with its maintainers to update it.)
Changes since 3.2.17
- 13103: Windows installer checks for 64-bit Windows, as bundled Java is 64-bit
- 12973: Unnecessary NullCommands being generated by Trigger Action
- 12861: Improved behavior of Zone editor
- 12825: Send keep-alive to prevent disconnection
- 12817: Right-clicking on unexpanded stacks no longer selects top piece
- 12816: Splitter between chat and map panes starts with map obscured
- 12805: Upgraded Batik from 1.12 to 1.13
- 12732: Use all available rendering hints for text
- 12731: javax.sound.samples.Clip fails to convert WAV files it can play
- 12724: Bundle Java 14 with Windows and Mac packages
- 12613: Advance maximum custom class version to Java 11
- 12579: Don’t bundle Java on Linux
- 12559: HiDPI support
- 12558: Bundle Java with VASSAL
- 12557: Compatibility with Java 9+
- 12556: Mass Piece Definer does not sort image names
- 12544: MacOS launcher not finding correct Java install
For changes prior to this release, see the change log.
VASSAL 3.3 requires Java 11 or later.
The Windows and Mac packages have an appropriate version of Java bundled with them, so there is no need to install Java separately on those operating systems.
Help us test
Should you find any problems/oddities/bugs, please tell us so that we can fix them for a future release of VASSAL. Report bugs here in the Technical Support & Bugs category at the VASSAL forums or by email.
The VASSAL Team